- Age Restrictions: Our race registration Age Policy requires that as of race day, all Half Marathon participants must be 16 years or older, all 10KM participants must be 13 or older, and all 5KM participants must be 10 years or older.
This policy follows international standards, has been informed by external medical advisers, and is in place for the safety of participants. Parents/guardians must sign the Online Waiver for participants aged 18 or under and parents/guardians are urged to ensure that young runners have the training and pace judgement needed to complete the event comfortably and safely. Race organizers reserve the right to require proof of age.
- Prohibited Items: The use of bicycles, inline skates and pets are prohibited during the races. Strollers are permitted on the 5KM course only.The right to disqualify runners who fail to comply with this policy is at the sole and exclusive decision of the race organizer, Vancouver International Marathon Society (“Society”).
- iPods/MP3 players/headphones: For the runner’s safety, music devices are discouraged. There is no risk of disqualification for simple use. If a runner puts themselves or other runners at risk through an unsafe act that race organizers determine was caused directly or indirectly through the use of an iPod/MP3 player item however, the runner may be disqualified.
- Pacing Requirement: There will be designated check points along the course with authorized course marshals that monitor and encourage runners to stay on pace and to ensure completion within the cut off time. A sweep vehicle will be available for pick up if necessary.
- Course Hours: The Half Marathon course will be open from 8:30am to 12:30PM, the 10KM course will be open from 10:00AM to 12:30PM and the 5KM course will be open from 11:00AM to 12:30PM on race day.
- Course Availability: The race is restricted and limited to registered participants only.
Registration is online or in person at Package Pick up or on race day. Mail-in registrations are not available. All runners must complete registration forms and sign the race waiver.
View the Entry Fees and Deadlines Here.
Students must show valid student ID to verify student rate at package pick up.
ENTRY FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE, NON-TRANSFERABLE and NON-DEFERRABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
For Legal and Liability reasons Runners cannot offer their unused bib to any other runner. Runners cannot defer their unused entry to the following year.
You can upgrade or downgrade your race distance online. Link to your Runner Profile to edit registration and switch races. Edit Registration HERE
While there is space available, you may switch to a shorter distance – ie. switch your Half Marathon entry to a 10KM or 5 KM entry, or 10KM entry to an 5KM entry – however, the price difference will not be refunded. A $5 change fee will be applied to all changes. Plus applicable online fees. The race fee difference charged will be the race fee at the time of the switch.
While there is space available, you may also switch to a longer distance – ie. switch your 10KM to a Half Marathon, or 5KM to a 10KM – however, you will be charged the price difference. A $5 change fee will be applied to all changes. Plus applicable online fees. The race fee difference charged will be the race fee at the time of the switch.
RACE RESULT POLICY
VALIDATION OF RACE RESULTS
It is the responsibility of each runner (“Runner”) to use the chip timing device (“Chip”) appropriately. Bibs should be stored flat without folds and worn on the front of the shirt for accurate timing and results. The Bib contains the timing device and any misuse of the bib may interfere with the effectiveness of the chip.
To maintain the integrity of race results for the Fall Classic, race results for any particular runner maybe invalid in the following circumstances:
- Where (Chip) times at specific locations, have not been recorded (despite both start and finish (Chip) times having been recorded);
- Where (i) (Chip) times at specific locations, have not been recorded, and (ii) there is a negative split time between the first half of the event and the second half of the event exceeding 15 minutes.
- In such other circumstances, where a result is questionable as determined by the sole and exclusive decision of the race directors of the Vancouver International Marathon Society (“Society”).
In the event a Runner’s time has not been validated in the circumstances described above, the Runner may appeal the non-validation of the runner’s time by requesting, in writing, that the Society review the validation of the runner’s time. Such review will be based on the written explanation of the runner and a review of the cameras (film and photo) commissioned by the Society during the race. All decisions by the Society as to any such appeal are final.
The Society reserves the right to forward notice of all results that have not been validated to BC Athletics, Athletics Canada, or such other race governing organizations as appropriate.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT RESULTS
The Fall Classic bases the results on Gun time AND Chip. Gun Time is the time from the start of the race (gun) to when you cross the finish line as per IAAF, Athletics Canada, USATF, AIMS and International Awards standards. Chip time is the time recorded by the BibTag/timing Chip once a runner crosses the Start Line, then the Finish Line.
Gun time will be the Official time for the top three OVERALL male and female winners in each the Half Marathon, 10KM and 5KM races. Chip time will be the Official time for all other runners, including Age Group winners. Top three overall winners are not eligible for age group awards.
RULES OF COMPETITION
- Participants must stay within course boundaries, as designated by officials, marshals, traffic cones, barriers, and other markings, at all times. Failure to do so may result in disqualification and ineligibility for future Fall Classic events.
- Participant bib numbers must be fully visible at all times on the front of the body and on the runner shirt or race belt. Bibs worn on the leg or back of the shirt may not record the timing device properly.
- Participants are advised not to invite anyone not officially registered for the event to join in any part of the race. Any runners not officially registered for the event will be given one warning before the Police will be advised, and the runner will be removed from the course.
- The Society reserves the right to disqualify any individual from the Fall Classic event. This disqualification may be based on, but is not limited to, all race policies; unsportsmanlike conduct; competing with an unofficial bib number; competing with an official bib number assigned to another person; transferring or attempting to transfer an official bib number, or to obtain such bib number, from another person; being paced during the race by a person not entered in the race; accepting assistance from non-race participants; crossing the finish line without having completed the entire course; and providing false information on the race entry form. Individuals disqualified from a race will be removed from the race results and may be barred from future events.
- Athletes with racing wheelchairs are welcome to participate in the Half Marathon, 10KM and 5KM events. Hand-cycles are prohibited. Please indicate that you would like to register as a wheelchair athlete by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 604-872-2928.
- We will allow individuals with a disability to be pushed in a race-approved wheelchair. Both participants must be registered; please email@example.com or call 604.872.2928 to register. Escorts will be required to have the wheelchair tethered to their body (arm, wrist or waist) to ensure the wheelchair does not leave their company for the duration of the event. The Vancouver International Marathon Society reserves the right at any time to revoke the privilege of these participants if a safety risk is determined.
- All wheelchair participants must submit a picture of their race wheelchair for approval prior to race day. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.